Monday, July 18, 2016

Getting Higher, and higher...

Fred Green: "My dentist started something new, at least something new that he didn’t do on my last visit, yesterday; they now take your blood pressure. I use to have great blood pressure when I was working, over 10 years ago. That was because I spent most of my time, after work, in the gym.
For whatever reason when I retired my pressure slowly went up. I joined a gym, but because of the expense I quit. So, for the most part I watched the boob-tube from sun-up to sun down. Six years ago I saw a cardiologist and it was confirmed that my blood pressure was high, very high, but not crazy high. At that time it was over 150ish over 70ish.
Of course there were other underlining factors and the doctor decided to put me on drugs to keep my pressure in check. I stayed on it for a couple of years and decided that was enough for me. It seemed that my pressure, ranged from 120/73 to 153/78 during the times I was on the drugs. When I stopped taking the drugs my BP stay around 130/70ish, the lowest being 116/78.
In 2014 I decided to step up my working out, not going to the gym, but just running, I only walked in 2013. I included riding my bike, taking longer tips and lifting weights and I started going on hikes with a 25 pound pack and I dropped about 79 pounds and got down to 180 pounds, maintaining 185 for a few months. In 2015 I gained five pounds and stayed at 190 for the rest of the year, until Thanksgiving. By the first of the year I got up to 210.
I had to step up my work out, and my work outs got harder, but it seemed too hard to drop that 10 pounds. It’s now July and I am at 200 and I can’t seem to knock of the 15 to 20 pounds I really want to lose. My metabolism has slow down.
At the dentist, my BP was 153/90. I have had higher, but that kind of bothered me, a little. My cardiologist told me that sometimes your BP can get higher when you visit the doctor’s office. I have my own BP machine and when I got home my BP was a lot lower.
I checked it today and it was 140/80, in my right arm and 135/78 in my left arm. For a second, I was thinking that I may have to go back to the doctor and get back on those drugs, but that thought was only for a second.
I decided, and I may change my mind later, but for now I must add a couple of exercises, the ones I stopped last year, lifting weights and core exercises. Each takes about an hour of my time. I hope they will be worth it. But, I will see the results and if those exercises don’t work and old age takes hold of me, I guess the drugs will have to do."



'via Blog this'

No comments: