Saturday, September 24, 2016

Break -- Fast

I broke my five and a half day fast this morning, normally, for the past 37 years, I have fasted for at least seven day, but I wanted to go hiking and get out on the lake and kayak a little.

I went to the grocery store yesterday to get all the food that I needed to break my fast and what I needed for the next two weeks or so. I usually average $130 when I go grocery shopping, and I usually get a ton of processed food. Stuff like, veggie burgers, canned stuff, lots of frozen stuff, stuff like that, (cookies, donuts, chips…). I thought I would do something different this time…considering that I do this just about every time I fast.

This time I was going to cook, my meals, again. So, I got a lot of vegetables and fruits. I did end up getting some of those frozen veggie burgers, they taste so great, though. When I finished my total bill was only $79! What saved me a lot, I didn’t get a ton of chips and cookies and donuts and way too many other sweet things.

Another thing I did was download and print as many vegetarian recipes as I could find, considering I have a Pinterest page of nothing but vegetarian food and all of the veggie burgers I could find. Heck, I have plenty of time to do what I need to do every day so why not cook breakfast, lunch and dinner?

I just so happened to find a recipe for a bunch of soup, I love soup. I really haven’t had a lot of soup because they come in cans and are full of sodium. As it is, my blood pressure is/was high enough, now. I haven’t checked as of late but, it doing well and I have lowered it in past months.

In my life, I have never liked split-pea soup but, as of late, it is one of my favorites, and Tomato soup. I found recipes for both. I will be cooking up a storm this week.

The one thing I have to watch out for and have done this just about every time I finish a fast, I eat too much at lunch. I usually break my fast with an apple and then, at lunch I make something with a lot of things with protein and find it hard to stop eating. I eat too much and regret it in the end. Not this time. I will not fall into that trap again and, so far so good.  Well, I did have two extra pieces of…

In 2014, I stayed away from a lot of sweets, chips and a lot of other junk foods and lost 78 pounds. Of course I also ran, more often than not, walked, hiked and biked over 1800 miles that year. In 2015, I figure that I could now eat more because I exercised more, now that I think about it, not as much as the year before. I still ended doing about 1300 total miles. However, I gained 10 pounds.


I weighed in at 200 this year and have stayed that weight all year. Today I am 14 pounds under what I was last Sunday. Now, it’s back to the old ways, staying away from all that isn’t good for me, maybe…, I not give up beer, though, I love beer! I hope it won’t be as hard as it has been, my entire adult life but every day is a learning experience. 

No comments: