Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Writing life


Sometimes I can’t believe some of the things I have done with my writing life over the years and never falling through on them. Case in point, 20 or so years ago I was a prolific writer, but as a reporter. This is where my degree is in, journalism. But, back in the day, I use to have these strange dreams; mostly all of it was science fiction.

In those dreams, this was, to me, it was like watching a movie. The next day I would write it down and then, later would outline it on a 3x5 card.

Since the first of last year I have been writing screenplays, mostly science fiction. And I have finished two and have started on my third, to which I am into 14 pages so far.

Yesterday I was taking my daily nap and I had a dream. I really didn’t think much about it. But today, as my nap started, that dream started again. This time I ran with it and tried to see what could become of it. After I woke up I tried to flesh out and see how much more I could move it along.

So, I got up and went to the computer and typed a two page synopsis of a possible script. I like it, so now I am, after I finish the current one, going to start on it, my forth.

Now, what does this have to do with the 3x5 index cards? Well, I remember that I had an index card box down in the basement, languishing somewhere collecting dust. So, I went into my spare office and found that box. Inside were quite a bit of ideas, children stories, when my children were younger and many, many other stories. And about 40 ideas for science fiction stories.

I went through them and see that I had some good story ideas but never did anything with them. I mean, I did have four finished short stories, and one finished novel, which had the dates of each finished chapter, starting at February 2, 1987. Then it was at 30,000 words. I finished it with about 60,000 words. I would love to add 40 more thousand word to it.

So now I have plenty of ideas to go on. As I had made a resolution, to write and get those stories published, this year, I now have plenty of work on. The main thing is to write! You can’t be a writer if you don’t write. And as I have written I have noticed that those dream movies have started again, just like way back in the 60s, 70s, and the 80s!

As I looked through my collection of idea cards I came across one card that I couldn’t believe I outlined. On it were several sentences. I had written; a man works for a government agency and is a spy. Then; a woman works for the government and is a spy. Both agencies want to kill them both. Interesting to say the least. I guess had I finished the entire story, I might have written a book and called it MR AND MRS SMITH.

Not saying that would have been the name of it, but my premise is the basis of that movie that came out in 2006 by that name. Of course anyone can have an idea and ideas are free.

Another thing that has helped is this blog that I have writing for on Mr. Fred Said and MySpace. I had another blog in 2005, but I think I only posted one blog there. Now, I kind of don’t know what to say here, but I will just kind of write about what has happened that day or week or anything special that I feel can or should write about... My life is truly dull so I can’t write about that.

But, as long as I am writing every day that will work for me in the long run. As a retiree I must do something. I have volunteered some time to the Prostate Cancer Coalition of Michigan. And I have been, the past few years, writing PSAs, public service ads and designing their flyers and brochures. This is part of that business that I started and also have to get moving on it.

As my business gets going, I am also planning to buy into a franchise. This is franchise is based in publishing. They help with the advertising, I just have to change the mast and they provide those Visa and MasterCard readers. Plus advice on getting my web site up and running, which I will get going...soon.

I guess the only thing I really have to work on, is the fact that I am still lazy when it come to proofreading. I have gone over a few of my blogs and noticed that I have passed over words, for instance, red for read. Simple stuff. Or I’m just way too lazy! I figure the more I write and the more I pay attention I will not have to worry about proofreading as much. But I still have to proofread everything just go get it right!

No comments: