Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Don't mess with Grandma...

I went to Kroger to pick up some breakfast food and my favorite, Swiss cheese. Not just any Swiss cheese, but the big-eyed, cheap, (inexpensive) Swiss cheese.

At the deli counter, they usually have a number system to accommodate the customers, if a large number of people converge on the deli counter at the same time.  Today was not one of those days. At the time, it was only me and another lady at the counter and we were both being served, at the time.

A couple minutes later, an older woman, I would have to say she was in her late 70s, early 80s, five foot tall, strolled up to the counter and went straight to the machine that dispenses those little tickets with the current number, waiting to waited on. I looked over to her and said, “You don’t have to get a number.” She looked at me for a hard second and proceeded to pull a number ticket out of the dispenser.

I then said, “You must be a Republican!”

“What?” She grumbled, with a look of disdain and daggers being hurled at me through her eyes, 

The woman standing next to me blurted out, “He’s just joking, he’s just joking…”

“Only a republican wouldn’t listen. You didn’t have to pull the number; they would have waited on you without a number…” I said with a super large, silly smile glued to my face.  The older woman just smiled and gave me a thumb down and said, “Not me!”


I gave her two thumbs up, grabbed my Swiss cheese from the counter and High-tailed out of there.

No comments: