Tuesday, May 29, 2012

War is coming...


            Today is May 29, 2012 and it was kind of wet, cloudy and really warm this morning. But, the sun should be shining later in the afternoon. Now that I look out the window, yes, the clouds are thinning and the sky is turning blue. It better stay that way, because I have a softball game later tonight.
            There is a war coming, it’s unavoidable. The storm clouds are brewing and I want to see this battle play to the end. I’m not talking about man against man, but to an extent, man against nature. More like birds against man.
            As interesting as this sounds, I noticed some weird signs the other day and they seemed to be foretelling the events to come. I have lived in my house for almost nine years and have seen nothing like this, well a few times in the past, at least not as bad as this. But the signs are there, nonetheless.
            As I when out to cut the grass I surveyed the surrounding area I noticed there was bird poop everywhere! I didn’t count but there had to be at least 100 or more droppings on my driveway. And I don’t mean the kind that just drop, but flying drops, high speed drops. Almost like bombing raids.
            What I mean is; the poop droppings are mostly six inches or longer. What this means, I conjecture, they came in low and let loose with the poop and let if fall as they may. Practice bomb (poop) runs? I am glad that I moved my old car out of the driveway or it would have been totally destroyed (with poop).
            I wouldn’t have paid it no mind but as I was taking the bags of lawn clippings to the curb I notice, in the distance a shiny black bird coming in low, about a foot off the ground, coming in fast. It dropped its load and made a mad climb into the sky disappearing into the sun, its bomb run complete.
            That kind of really seemed strange, come to think about it. Why are they on these practice runs? I have noticed that the birds, usually in my backyard, picking for worms and grubs are robins and starlings for the most part. Even though I have seen way too many geese, swans, by the hundreds, ducks and a hawk, it could have been an eagle, not sure on that one. I am going to have to get a book on birds.
I have noticed that the geese, though, walk around the neighborhood and just drop their loads right there on the sidewalk and think nothing much of it. Poop, there for every one to slip and slide on. They don’t care; they are the second wave, the heavy bombers. The duck are the fast fighter and the hawks, well all I can say is watch out, they are the dive bombers!
Now, I can’t say for sure that this war is about going to be between us and them. But, in my neighborhood, or at least within the immediate area there are a few cats lurking around. And I have seen this one cat actually catch a bird in my back yard. I yelled a couple of times for it to let go of that bird, but it had clamped down hard and wasn’t about to let go of its afternoon meal.
This cat has been a threat to all living things for the last three or so years. My next door neighbors have a couple of cats, to which they let out, on occasions. Sometimes the little girl lets her cat out on the roof, below her window. Anyway, I have seen that evil cat attack that friendly cat many times. And most times, at night, I hear cats screaming. That noise even wakes up my cats and they run to the window to find out what’s going on.  I have the feeling, though, they are not fighting, if you catch my drift.
I have also noted that I don’t see as many squirrels as I had when I moved here. In fact, once in my life, in another location, I saw a cat dragging a dead squirrel down the street. Seems like squirrels are not exempt from the coming war.
So, maybe the war is about that cat versus birds. And they are practicing those bombing runs for the sake of standing up to that evil cat. Or it could be that the neighbor behind me is feeding the birds laxatives??!


No comments: