Monday, April 22, 2013

I Love Popcorn!


            I like popcorn, no, I love popcorn. I have the feeling that I am addicted to popcorn. Sometimes I feel that I can’t get enough. I noticed that at a local CVS they sell popcorn for a dollar a box. Well, I purchased a couple of boxes and took them home for a feast. When I opened the box, put it in the microwave, fired it up, I noticed, after it finished popping, the bag was half the size of a regular bag of microwaved popcorn. I was horrified.

            Of course I got over it quite quickly, though I never had more than one bag a day. I am guessing more than that constitutes an addiction, which I don’t, have contrary to anything I might had said prior. Anyway, last year I use to go to Costco and buy those boxes of Orville Redenbacher popcorn, the 48 count kind.       

            The only problem I had with Redenbacher popcorn, it never fully popped all the kernels. So, there’d always be bunch of un-popped kernels in the bag, and I hated that. Could’ve broken a tooth or something. Then I remembered Act II popcorn. That was the popcorn that I ate at work, most of the time because it’s what they sold in the vending machines.

            I knew they sold it at Kroger and I really had to change my mind because it was cheaper than Redenbacher’s popcorn. So, I stuck with Act II for a while but it too seemed to have many of those un-popped kernels in the bag.

            Last year or so I thought I’d try Kroger’s popcorn, only because it was way cheaper than both of the other popcorns they sold. I was truly amazed when I popped it because out of every bag, 99.9 percent of the kernels were popped! I would like to say there are usually one or two kernels in the bag when I finished… but not really, I have a really bad memory most of the time, ok, I never count. In fact, I just counted the kernels in the bag I just finished a few moments ago and there were seven un-popped kernels in it. Really, that is a better count than the expensive popcorns.

            I just noticed today that I still have some old-style popcorn, the kind that you put in a pan, with a touch of oil, and shake it over a flame. I have the feeling that I better use it or it won’t pop. I’ve tried a few times in the past and one time it worked and another time it didn’t pop at all, considering that both of those jars of popcorn are over, well, quite a few years old. But with that type of popcorn you can use all the ingredients you have at hand.

            And I always like to put grated Parmesan cheese and or garlic and or onion salt on my popcorn. But, those were the days. I wonder do they still make Jiffy-pop? Well, I guess they do. I just Googled it and there still is a product called Jiffy-pop, go figure. When I got out on my own, that was my main staple, that and anything Mickey D’s, and beer.

            And, don’t get me started on Movie Popcorn. I go to the movies just to get the popcorn, but to be honest not with a lot of movie butter. I hate the messy, greasy mess. So, I usually get it without the butter. Some movie houses usually have some sort of spice or cheese that you can add to your popcorn. I love those places, but there are none close by my house. With or without, movie popcorn is great!

            Chances are tonight, during the baseball game I am going to have a bag of Kroger popcorn, Kettle corn, heck it was only a dollar a box so I got a couple and I am going to enjoy the baseball with a smile as I snack on my popcorn.

No comments: