Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Resolutions: part 60?


    Today is January 1, 2013, and it has been a beautiful but cold, typical January day, and that is just the way I like it, sort of. I am thinking of throwing some logs in the fireplace and watch a ton of movies, movies I downloaded, or maybe finishing watching that football game I recorded earlier. Either way, you just gotta love a day like today.
            This is a day of resolutions, or should I say a day I mention resolution and commit myself to a resolution because I usually never ever keep them anyway. For example, this is what I did last year and kind of stuck with it;

1.      Have fun!
2.      Have more fun!
3.      Get my novel published!
4.      Finish my second book of poems!
5.      Finish my third book of poems!
6.      Write in my blog at least once a week!
7.      Did I mention HAVE FUN?!
8.      Work on my second novel and finish it!
9.      FIND AN AGENT!!!! Or at least a manager.
10.  Sell all those books I acquired, at a yard sale (over 300 books)!
11.  Did I mention, find an agent?!
12.  Finish outlining those 42 novel ideals I created years and years ago.
13.  Get my businesses running with two ideas that just popped into my head this past month!!
14.  I know I have more stuff to do this year…
15.  Market myself, my books, my web site me!

            Now that I think about it I enjoyed 1 through 4, 7, 8, 10, sort of, and that was about it. What kind of stopped me on the numbers that really were supposed to be accomplished, I got hold of Netflix. I think I spent more time watching all the old shows I watched 20 years ago. I did find those shows funny, amusing and just plain fun.
            But, in 2013 that has got to stop. I really mean it. I said today is the day I start, so far so good. I mean, I am writing this blog post, something I said that I would do at least weekly. And of course, lifestyle moves. Yes, they are not resolutions, they are lifestyle changes, or lifestyle continuations.
            That same old stuff I have been doing for the last 50 or so years. Like, eating well, exercising more and losing this last 50 pounds or more before softball season, racquetball and biking season starts again. But, I have been doing this for so long, is it really a resolution or me just trying to trick myself into being a better (the same) me?
            Anyway, those are just some of the things I am planning to continue for this year. The real important stuff I really have to work on though. Please hold on for a second, my cat just jumped into my lap so I am going to have to type around him for the moment. Cats, you can’t eat em and you can just throw em off your lap.
            What I have planned for this year, I really have to market my books. I am finding it difficult in trying to get people to read and go over my tomes, so I am going to have to edit and make sure that they are polished. I finished my Sci-fi tome but I am having trouble finding someone to do cover art for me. I guess I am going to have to scrape up some cash and offer it to a guy I know who did my first tentative cover. These are things I have to get done this year. I am tired of eating PB&J for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
            I have also finished my second novel and have to get ready to polish it. I hope to send it to a publisher and have it published the traditional way. There are six in that series but I am debating on combining them to make only three novels.
            One of the other things I have do this very week, I have joined a few websites that deal with writers. It is one of the better ways I can network and market my novels. I have to get this done and done this year. It’s a start, but I have to keep it up and today is that start day, year. I have been saying this for the last 25 years. Ouch.
            What’s left to do? Well, I didn’t do a few of those numbers from above, let me see the new resolutions, I mean things that I will accomplish this year;

1.      finish book of poems, number three
2.      finish book 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 of my fictional autobiography series
3.      market the three books I have finished last year
4.      find an agent or manager
5.      find an artist for my book cover designs (or figure out how to use Photoshop)
6.      have that yard sale and sell those hundreds of books ( usually pick them on consignment and yard sales I go to)
7.      Network, network, network!
8.      Finish outlining those 42 novel ideals I created years and years ago. Didn’t I mention that last year too?
9.      Lastly, write, write and write!
10.  I might as well, have fun, fun, and more fun, again like I did last year. There’s nothing like having fun and enjoying life.

Write on!

No comments: