Saturday, February 18, 2012

Resolutions Part IV -- Quitting and other stuff...


            Today is February 16, 2012, and today is my birthday.  (I wrote this on the 16th, but finished it on the 18th). It’s been a month and a half since I decided to make a few resolutions, (lifestyle changes). But, alas, some of them are so hard to quit, even for a month or so.
 I love coffee, I really do. I love the smell and the taste of coffee. I love the smell of coffee brewing in the morning as it slowly wakens me. My resolution was to quit, at least for at least for a few months.
            I was never planning to totally quit, just ease on back a bit. Last year I, well a couple of months before the first of the year, I had given up coffee, beer and all sweet thing, you know, cookies, cakes, and my favorite, vanilla ice cream.
 And it all worked well for me. In the first four months of 2011 I lost 30 pounds. I was feeling it the first half of the year. The second half was another story. I weighted myself this January and I had gained 14 pounds! As of this past Monday I had gained another seven!
Anyway, I decided to do a resolution (lifestyle change??). I said I was going to quit coffee (for a few months). To be honest, it lasted about two weeks and that was only because I had run out of coffee. All I had was that instant and some decaf coffee, which is awful, just saying it out loud. Last year I did a lot of reading on the effects of coffee. I found out that coffee is, supposedly, good for you, in a few things. So coffee is back.
Then next resolution was to give up beer. Give up Beer? Me? Never! But I was going to cut back and pick it up again later in the year, like I did last year. I think I went with a beer until the Super Bowl, which was held on February 5th. I purchased a case of 20 bottles and one of my son’s friends came with a 20 case of Irish beers. I love that guy!
Anyway, hardly anyone drank any of the beers, go figure. So, I had all this beer and I really didn’t want it to go to waste. So, I guess that ended that “resolution” per se. Twelve days into February I decided that I have to get down to my fighting weight, I decided to quit drinking beer for a while, at least until I get back down to 220. That means I had to finish off 15 beers, from the fifth to the twelfth, of February, and must say it was good. I still have the Irish beers, but I will wait for that day to finish them off.
So, quitting is hard, but I say never start and you will never get into that position. Talk is cheap and easy, but can you really quit? I know for me, it’s hard to quit sweet things, like cake and cookies, my downfall. I didn’t really have any until October of last year when my nephew, who is staying with me while he recovers, had his birthday at the end of October. And the cake was raining down from the sky. I went on a two month binge of cookies and cake, my addiction.
I got wise and said, to myself, I had to get back down to my fighting weight. But, I was slightly derailed during the Super Bowl, but, I am back on track; I will not touch any sweets until after all of those summer sports. I gotta show off that body of mine, the one I am sculpting now.
Speaking of working out, yeah, I am back in the gym. I hear that most people make that one big resolution on the first of January, “start back at the gym”. I read somewhere that most people who make that resolution quit the gym by the end of February. I got back in, but for some reason I just didn’t feel it. So, I think out of the 31 days of January I went for a total of seven. But, I was feeling bad and I had started back playing racquetball and I needed the energy and breathe to keep up play and being in the gym supplied that for me.
But, wouldn’t you know it; I caught a cold, my third in seven years. That cold reminded me as to why I don’t go to meetings, you know, the shaking hands, hugs, and stuff like that. I did take one week off but the last couple of weeks I played, I had the energy, but couldn’t get the breath. Needless to say, I lost every game.
I have been a member of a gym; as far back as I can remember. I really enjoy working out, yes, it gets boring at times, but the results are great. I can’t quit the gym! But, I guess we will see what happens in the fall. For some odd reason I usually let up and quit everything when I said I wouldn’t quit. I am finding the three things that make me quit, Thanksgiving, Christmas and the Super Bowl.
So, I will be working hard out hard for the next 10 months, then I quit…Now that I think about it, no more resolutions, let’s just get on with enjoying life! Just the way I like it.

No comments: